2. "How hard could husbanding be? Don’t drink, don’t gamble, don’t bring hunting dogs to the table. Don’t be terrified of tooth-drawers. Don’t be stupid about money. Don’t go for a soldier. No hitting girls. He wasn’t drawn to violate any of these prohibitions. Assuming older sisters weren’t classified as girls. Maybe make that, No hitting girls first."
- Lois McMaster Bujold, Penric's Demon
5. "It is the difference between hitting with a pillow and hitting with a baseball bat."
- William Brohaugh, Write Tight: Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power
7. "If I'd realized how rabid he was to catch me slipping, I wouldn't have added more fuel to his fire by hitting him in the mouth. Okay. I probably still would have hit him in the mouth. But I wouldn't have done it quite so hard."
- Jim Butcher, Storm Front
8. "A writer wasn’t a body, just a byline. My words would be sharp and spiky, punchy and pointed; my stories would be swift and lean, sleek and enviable, moving fast and hitting hard. I would not, I vowed, write like a fat girl."
- Jennifer Weiner, Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life
9. "Hello-o-o-o-o, Nick, I said, hitting thek hard. You’re the world’s biggest jerk for what you did to Jax. You ever show your scrawny face in Cincinnati again, and I’m going to shove a broomstick up your ass and set it on fire. You got that?"
- Kim Harrison, A Fistful of Charms