2. "[W]hen someone finds himself quite unjustly attacked and hated on all sides, there is no need for such a person to feel dismayed by misfortune. See how Fortune, who has harmed many a one, is so inconstant, for God, Who opposes all wrong deeds, raises up those in whom hope dwells."
- Christine de Pizan, Ditié de Jehanne d'Arc
3. "Sylvan is an honorable male. He would never attack a helpless female. I know, Sophie said. And then he went after the guy who attacked me. Well of course he did. Nadiah put a hand on her hip. That’s what Kindred do. They avenge any wrongs visited upon their females. Let me tell you, if any male around here had attacked a female or even spoken harshly to her and then she got bonded to a Kindred… She shook her head. He’d better move to a new grotto quick. Preferably one on the other side of the planet. Or he’s vranna meat—know what I mean? Sophie"
- Evangeline Anderson, Hunted
4. "It is the one who accepts commitment who is strong. The true commitment is the artistic one. This is why artists are so often attacked. They are attacked for their morals, for their ideas – even for their work. Yet their essence – their commitment – is the secret which is unassailable. The true artist knows that creativity is its own reward. Ordinary people fear commitment, you see. Ordinary people fear creativity. They know that if they allow that seething cauldron of yellow liquid to boil over within themselves, then their whole lives will be changed. People fear change. People do not wish to be creative and artistic in any real sense. They wish to decorate, perhaps, and to make things around themselves pleasant – but this has little to do with creativity. … All spiritual paths should be creative. Creativity is involved with sacrifice. That stew of yellow liquid which boils in everyone is a sacrificial broth …"
- Laura Knight-Jadczyk, Debugging the Universe: The Hero's Journey
5. "If, however, you take a moment to observe how you actually feel immediately after you criticise someone, you'll notice that you will feel a little deflated and ashamed, almost like you're the one who has been attacked. The reason this is true is that when we criticise, it's a statement to the world and to ourselves, "I have a need to be critical." This isn't something we are usually proud to admit."
- Richard Carlson, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
6. "Women who are attacked phone a hotline for advice. "Don't report a rape," the women are told. "Call it indecent exposure. A guy who takes it out and doesn't do anything with it--cops figure that guys is sick."
- Amy Hempel, The Collected Stories
8. "How shall freedom be defended? By arms when it is attacked by arms, by truth when it is attacked by lies, by faith when it is attacked by authoritarian dogma. Always, in the final act, by determination and faith."
- Quote by Archibald MacLeish
9. "Power and privilege will always be attacked by smaller men who claim they have a cause. But the cause is always avarice. Whatever lofty excuse men use for war or revolution, it’s always because they want the power another holds."
- Nora Roberts, The Collector
10. "A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent"
- Quote by John Calvin