1. "Nobody goes into a Zen monastery as a tourist."
- Quote by Leonard Cohen
2. "My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk"
- Quote by John Keats
4. "THE MONASTERY IS A SCHOOL—A SCHOOL IN WHICH WE learn from God how to be happy."
- Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain: Fiftieth-Anniversary Edition
6. "In fact, however, Nietzsche’s very first book, The Birth, constitutes a declaration of independence from Schopenhauer: while Nietzsche admires him for honestly facing up to the terrors of existence, Nietzsche himself celebrates Greek tragedy as a superior alternative to Schopenhauer’s Buddhistic negation of the will. From tragedy Nietzsche learns that one can affirm life as sublime, beautiful, and joyous in spite of all suffering and cruelty."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Basic Writings of Nietzsche
8. "Monastic contemplatives have staked out a clearly limited area to be transformed by contemplation: the monastery. Lay contemplatives face the challenge of transforming the whole world."
- Quote by David Steindl-Rast
9. "Pippin ordered Childeric III tonsured and sent to a monastery, where he died five years later, the last of the Merovingians."
- Susan Wise Bauer, The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade
10. "One learns more of Christ in being married and rearing children than in several lifetimes spent in study in a monastery."
- Quote by Martin Luther