1. "France actually had the first ever pension schemes: the Invalides, a hostel built by Louis XIV and his prime minister, Jean-Baptiste Colbert (1619–83), for disabled soldiers."
- Jean-Benoît Nadeau, Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
6. "Every student is a chance for greatness."
- Quote by John Hunter
7. "The moments of the class must belong to the student—not the students, but to the very undivided student. You don’t teach a class. You teach a student."
- Ken Bain, What the Best College Teachers Do
8. "A man of one book, a student of many."
- Quote by John Wesley
9. "Who runs a combination cat shelter and hostel?" Keith asked. "With the cat shelter being the primary function? Only people who want to kill you with an axe and then put you in the garden and build a shed on you, that's who."
- Maureen Johnson, The Last Little Blue Envelope