3. "When a language advances and adds a third term to its lexicon for color, the third term is always red."
- Daniel J. Levitin, The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload
8. "The lexicon of language, then, is a finite set of terms that by metaphor is able to stretch out over an infinite set of circumstances, even to creating new circumstances thereby."
- Julian Jaynes, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
9. "All those things for which we have no words are lost. The mind—the culture—has two little tools, grammar and lexicon: a decorated sand bucket and a matching shovel. With these we bluster about the continents and do all the world's work. With these we try to save our very lives."
- Quote by Annie Dillard
10. "Metaphorically speaking," she said with a smile, "'if' is the smallest word in the Galactic Standard lexicon, yet it stands between us and our greatest dreams. Let it be a bridge, Shigar. It's time you crossed it. I will be waiting for you on the other side."
- Quote by Sean Williams