2. "If hydrogen, the element of lowest atomic weight, should be the building block (aside from other particles of negligible weight) then something must be lost in the process of fusing hydrogen atoms to form elements of larger atomic weight. This loss of mass, which has been known to be equivalent to energy since Einstein’s work of 1905, is called the binding energy. The idea occurred that it might perhaps be utilized. This is now done in the fusion process that takes place when a hydrogen bomb explodes and the extra mass is converted to radiated energy."
- Morris Kline, Mathematics and the Physical World
5. "atomic war n. thermonuclear or nuclear exchange"
- William D. Lutz, Doublespeak Defined: Cut Through the Bull and Get the Point
6. "For in the figure of Christ we are confronted with an atomic event that does not destroy the world, but rather obliterates the way in which we exist within the world. In concrete terms, this means that the darkness and dissatisfaction that make their presence felt in our lives are not finally answered by certainty and satisfaction but are rather stripped of their weight and robbed of their sting."
- Peter Rollins, The Idolatry of God: Breaking Our Addiction to Certainty and Satisfaction
9. "The java.util.concurrent.atomic package contains atomic variable classes for effecting atomic state transitions on numbers and object references. By replacing the long counter with an AtomicLong, we ensure that all actions that access the counter state are atomic."
- Brian Goetz, Java Concurrency in Practice
10. "Somehow the world survived the Nazis, the atomic bomb, and modern music"
- Quote by Haruki Murakami