1. a broody hen
3. "To the broody hen the notion would probably seem monstrous that there should be a creature in the world to whom a nestful of eggs was not utterly fascinating and precious and never-to-be-too-much-sat-upon object which it is to her."
- Quote by William James
4. "Unpredictable, high-tempered, happy on her own, and nearly untamable, she was a challenge to seduce. It hadn’t helped that he was broody, arrogant, selfish, and a god. She didn’t want a soul mate, she told him. And she certainly didn’t want one with wings and an attitude problem."
- Karen Marie Moning, Burned
5. "Don’t stop,’ said Lymond pleasantly. ‘You’ve my father, my brother, my late sister and a whole clecking of aunts to get through. Auntie May is a good one to start with. Fifteen stone, and every spring she goes broody; and we find her out in the hen run on a clutch of burst yolks; except the year mother got there first and hard-boiled them."
- Dorothy Dunnett, Queens' Play
6. "Do you want to guess what's in here?" I asked Dash. "I think I've got it figured out already. There's a new supply of red notebooks in there, and you want us to fill them in with clues about the works of, say, Nicholas Sparks." "Who?" I asked. Please, no more broody poets. I couldn't keep up. "You don't know who Nicholas Sparks is?" Dash asked. I shook my head. "Please don't ever find out," he said."
- Rachel Cohn, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
7. "You’re grumpy and broody and secretive all the time. You’re no joy to live with, I can tell you that! I smile sometimes. I even laughed about your . . . hat. MacHalo, I corrected tightly. It’s a brilliant invention, and it means I don’t need you or V’lane to keep my safe from Shades, and that, Jericho Barrons, is worth its weight in gold: not needing either of you for something!"
- Karen Marie Moning, Faefever
8. "Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. He had the two wards of the fucking Marshal of the fucking Southern Provinces in a stolen car. An entire continent away from where the two of them were supposed to be. In the Broken. Where they had beat up some Broken children. Well, if those children weren’t broken before, they were surely broken now. Fate, that broody, vicious, fickle bitch."
- Ilona Andrews, Fate's Edge
9. "know what's going on." Cam looked up in time to see both of his brothers' eyes focus on him. "Oh, come on. Why does it have to be me?" "You're the oldest." Phillip grinned at him. "Besides, it'll take your mind off Anna." "I'm not brooding about her—or any woman." "Been edgy and broody all week," Ethan mumbled. "Making me nuts." "Who asked you? We had a little disagreement, that's all. I'm giving her time to simmer down." "Seems to me she'd simmered down to frozen the last time I saw her." Phillip examined his beer. "That was a week ago."
- Nora Roberts, Sea Swept
10. "You don't know me inside and out. You may have gotten in my skin, but you have never gotten inside my heart. Go ahead, Barrons, make me slice and dice myself. Go ahead, play games with me. Push me around. Lie to me. Bully me. Be your usual constant jackass self. Stalk around all broody and pissy and secretive, but you're wrong about me. There's something inside me you'd better be afraid of. And you can't touch my soul. You will never touch my soul!"
- Karen Marie Moning, Dreamfever