1. "Practice Problems 1. Solve for p in terms of m: 2 2 16 m p 2. Solve for x in terms of b and K: bx K 2 3. Solve for m in terms of c and d: c m d 2 4. Solve for x in terms of a, b, and c: bx a c–3 5. Solve for w in terms of V, l, and h: V lwh 6. Solve for h in terms of A and b:"
- Donny Brusca, Algebra I Common Core Regents Course Workbook
4. "the first published blues was a song called I Got the Blues, which appeared in New Orleans in 1908. Its composer was an Italian American named Antonio Maggio, and it began with a twelve-bar section using a melody that is a clear predecessor of W. C. Handy’s St. Louis Blues."
- Elijah Wald, Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues
6. "We’re flimflam artists. But remember, sonny, you can’t con people unless they’re greedy to begin with. W. C. Fields had it right. You can’t cheat an honest man."
- Sidney Sheldon, If Tomorrow Comes
10. "As the wit W. C. Fields advised: 'If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. There is no point making a fool of yourself.' This advice is easy to give and difficult to put into practice, but as you build your strengths, sometimes making great progress, sometimes slipping back, take comfort from the fact that this is how a strong life is supposed to be lived."
- Donald O. Clifton, Now