1. the stock market crashed on Black Friday
2. a calamitous defeat
3. the battle was a disastrous end to a disastrous campaign
4. such doctrines, if true, would be absolutely fatal to my theory
5. it is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it
6. a fateful error
5. "I am very poor - for a know nothing, understand nothing. It is not a calamitous condition until it is realized."
- Quote by Rafael Sabatini
6. "People who succeed in the stock market also accept periodic losses, setbacks, and unexpected occurrences. Calamitous drops do not scare them out of the game."
- Peter Lynch, One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In
7. "The most calamitous failures of prediction usually have a lot in common. We focus on those signals that tell a story about the world as we would like it to be, not how it really is."
- Clayton M. Christensen, Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice
8. "But around her, the air was sad, somehow. And behind the smile in her eyes, the Grief was a fresh, shining blue. Because of a calamitous car crash. Because of a Joe-shaped hole in the universe."
- Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
9. "It is our attitude toward events, not events themselves, which we can control. Nothing is by its own nature calamitous -- even death is terrible only if we fear it."
- Quote by Epictetus