2. "The club is too loud to talk, so after a couple of drinks, everyone feels like the centre of attention but completely cut off from participating with anyone else. You're the corpse in an English murder mystery."
- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
3. "Stravinsky is one of the greatest composers of our time and I truly love many of his works. (...) The marvellous composer has invariably been at the centre of my attention, and I not only studied and listened to his music, but I played it and made my own transcriptions as well."
- Dmitri Shostakovich, Testimony: The Memoirs
4. "On her ideal dinner party: 'Virginia Woolf, Coleridge and Charles Lamb would have to be there. I would be scurrying around in the kitchen with Mary Lamb - she and I would do the cooking. Of course my brother would be there. I think that's about enough. That number would sustain a single conversation. Virginia and I would be the centre of attention."
- Quote by Anne Fadiman
5. "the unstable, by bringing order into chaos, by resolving disharmonies and centring upon the mid-point, thus setting a boundary to the multitude and focusing attention upon the cross, consciousness is reunited with the unconscious, the unconscious man is made one with his centre … and in this wise the goal of man’s salvation and exaltation is reached.77"
- C.G. Jung, The Gnostic Jung: Including
6. "To be fully human has little to do with always being the centre of attention, getting your way and having all your ambitions met. To be fully human is to be like Christ, to 'count others better than yourselves' (Phil 2:13)...It takes rare strength to treat others as more important than yourself."
- Dick Keyes, Chameleon Christianity: Moving Beyond Safety and Conformity
7. "True humility is a kind of self-annihilation; and this is the centre of all virtues."
- John Wesley, A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith)
8. "In spite of her depression, Mirabelle likes to think of herself as humourous. She can, when the occasion calls, become a wisecracker and buoyant party girl. This mood, Mirabelle thinks, sometimes makes her the centre of attention at parties and gatherings. The truth is that these episodes of gaiety merely raise her to normal, but for Mirabelle the feeling is so exceptional that she believes herself to be standing out."
- Steve Martin, Shopgirl
9. "February, month of despair, with a skewered heart in the centre."
- Quote by Margaret Atwood