1. "THE STOCK-BROKER’S CLERK"
- Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels & 56 Short Stories
3. "in 1904 he applied for a promotion from patent clerk third class to patent clerk second class and was turned down."
- Leonard Mlodinow, The Upright Thinkers: The Human Journey from Living in Trees to Understanding the Cosmos
5. "I discovered our dear poet in my office, a simple clerk."
- Bertolt Brecht, Brecht Collected Plays: 1: Baal; Drums in the Night; In the Jungle of Cities; Life of Edward II of England; & 5 One Act Plays: "Baal"
7. "at the outer door to bestow the greetings of the season on the clerk, who, cold as he was, was warmer than Scrooge; for he returned them cordially. There’s another fellow, muttered Scrooge; who overheard him: my clerk, with fifteen"
- Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
9. "It is easier to rob by setting up a bank than by holding up a bank clerk."
- Quote by Bertolt Brecht
10. "Reader, I married him. A quiet wedding we had: he and I, the parson and clerk, were alone present."
- Quote by Jane Eyre