1. "All artist of some measure contemplative."
- Quote by Evelyn Underhill
3. "God works in history, therefore a contemplative who has no sense of history, no sense of historical responsibility, is not fully a Christian contemplative.23"
- William H. Shannon, Thomas Merton: An Introduction
4. "the contemplative life not only does not exclude, but requires, the active life."
- Peter Kreeft, Practical Theology: Spiritual Direction from St. Thomas Aquinas
5. "There is always a temptation to diddle around in the contemplative life, making itsy-bitsy statues."
- Quote by Thomas Merton
6. "The lively is always more contemplative than what is dead and sad."
- Quote by Robert Walser
7. "Books were good at developing a contemplative mind. Screens encourage more utilitarian thinking. A"
- Kevin Kelly, The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future
8. "Gregory the Great (sixth century), summarizing the Christian contemplative tradition, expressed it as resting in God. This was the classical meaning of Contemplative Prayer in the Christian tradition for the first sixteen centuries."
- Thomas Keating, On Prayer
9. "I live a very secluded life, a very contemplative life and a very meditative one. That is my ideal life."
- Quote by Alice Walker