1. "Where can a man get a bite to eat? the cowhand asked. There’s several restaurants, but if you can do with beef an’ eggs, just set down over yonder and we can fix you up. They’re fixin’ breakfast for the boss right now, the bartender added, and I’ll just have them put on something extry. When the bartender saw"
- Louis L'Amour, The Rider of Lost Creek
2. "Dish said no more, and Augustus decided not to tease him. Occasionally the very youngness of the young moved him to charity- they had no sense of the swiftness of life, nor of its limits. The years would pass like weeks, and loves would pass too, or else grow sour. Young Dish, skilled cowhand that he was, might not live to see the whores of Ogallala, and the tender feelings he harbored for Lorena might be the sweetest he would ever have."
- Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove
3. " roping And riding To making fire with sticks. Slowly the word spread all over the land. That wrangler ‘Kid Bleff’ is a first-rate cowhand! The day finally came when the roundup was through. Aunt Fern called: Come on over. Bring your cowboys with you. She was cooking a barbecue that very same day. So we cleaned up (a little) and we headed her way. The food was delicious. There was plenty to eat. And the band that was playing just couldn’t be beat. But suddenly I noticed a terrible sight. The cattle were stirring and stamping with fright. It’s a scene I’ll remember till my very last day. They’re gonna stampede! I heard somebody say. Just then they came charging. They charged right at me! I looked for a hiding place-- A rock, or a tree. What I found was a tablecloth spread out on the ground. So I turned like a matador And spun it around. It was a new kind of cowboying, a fantastic display! The cattle were frightened and stampeded…away! Then the cowboys all cheered, Bleff’s a true buckaroo"
- Mark Teague, How I Spent My Summer Vacation