4. "The word that came to me now was "defiant." Because a person had to be defiant to be able to stand amid the wreckage of her life and instead of shaking a fist, pick up a hammer."
- Karen White, The Beach Trees
8. "Give me a defiant poseur over a trendsetter any day. The poseur understands the absurdity of trends"
- Quote by Dean Cavanagh
9. "The author describes Lincoln's attitude in making a deal with a newspaper publisher as, "almost defiant transparency."
- Harold Holzer, Lincoln and the Power of the Press: The War for Public Opinion