1. "California, the department store state."
- Quote by Raymond Chandler
4. "physicist James Franck, head of the physics department at Haber’s institute, who, like Haber and Hahn, would later win the Nobel Prize.342 So did a crowd of industrial chemists employed by I.G. Farben, a cartel of eight chemical companies assembled in wartime by the energetic Carl Duisberg of Bayer."
- Richard Rhodes, Making of the Atomic Bomb
5. "I'm not just a college professor. I'm the head of a department. I don't see myself fleeing an airborne toxic event. That's for people who live in mobile homes out in the scrubby parts of the county, where the fish hatcheries are."
- Don DeLillo, White Noise
6. "It’s quite interesting to note that Townes’s colleagues at Columbia were skeptical of his idea. Niels Bohr, one of the great quantum physicists, and Nobel laureate Isadore Rabi, head of the university's physics department, told Townes his maser idea would never work and urged him to abandon the project."
- James Scott Bell, 27 Fiction Writing Blunders - And How Not To Make Them!
7. "Who killed this man [Patrick Sonnier]? Nobody. Everybody can argue that he or she was just doing a job - the governor, the warden, the head of the Department of Corrections, the district attorney, the judge, the jury, the Pardon Board, the witnesses to the execution. Nobody feels personally responsible for the death of this man. (p. 101)"
- Helen Prejean, Dead Man Walking
8. "You think you know what the Department of Defense is spending? The Department of Defense doesn’t even know what the Department of Defense is spending."
- Cintra Wilson, Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny