1. "Embassy Row in Washington, D.C., the summer I turned"
- Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
3. "When informed that a clerk at the Portuguese embassy was spying for both the Germans and the Italians, he wrote: Why don’t you shoot him?"
- Ben Macintyre, Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies
4. "The title of the elder branch falling at length to him, he obtained an important embassy, which served as an excuse for hastening the marriage,"
- John William Polidori, The Vampyre and Other Tales of the Macabre
7. "It’s not as if it’d taste any different under all that curry, said Burleigh. I was at a dinner in their embassy once, and do you know what they made me eat? It was a sheep’s—"
- Terry Pratchett, Jingo
8. "The Embassy Suites in Des Moines was of the architectural style known as 20th Century Hotel Unremarkable, a large beige building apparently designed not to piss anybody off, except maybe the local aesthetes."
- John Sandford, Extreme Prey
9. "Conroy writes that, while part of him was following the basketball game from the bench, "the other part, an embassy of a completely sovereign nation, would fling its doors open to the most authentic part of me."
- Pat Conroy, My Losing Season: A Memoir