2. "HOW ODDLY SITUATED a man is apt to find himself at age thirty-eight! His youth belongs to the distant past. Yet the period of memory beginning with the end of youth and extending to the present has left him not a single vivid impression."
- Yukio Mishima, Runaway Horses: The Sea of Fertility
4. "Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time."
- Quote by George Carlin
7. "we already know that owning the market beats 96% of all the mutual fund stock pickers over a sustained period."
- Anthony Robbins, MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
8. "Deep practice feels a bit like exploring a dark and unfamiliar room. You start slowly, you bump into furniture, stop, think, and start again. Slowly, and a little painfully, you explore the space over and over, attending to errors, extending your reach into the room a bit farther each time, building a mental map until you can move through it quickly and intuitively."
- Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports
9. "speak quietly to yourself & promise there will be better days. whisper gently to yourself and provide assurance that you really are extending your best effort. console your bruised and tender spirit with reminders of many other successes. offer comfort in practical and tangible ways - as if you were encouraging your dearest friend. recognize that on certain days the greatest grace is that the day is over and you get to close your eyes. tomorrow comes more brightly..."
- Quote by Mary Anne Radmacher
10. "Jens Bjørneboe wrote that he who hasn’t experienced a full depression alone and over a long period of time—he is a child."
- Thomas Ligotti, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race: A Contrivance of Horror