7. "The sad fact is that language and logic cut off from reality have a far greater power than the language and logic of reality—with all that extraneous matter weighing down like a rock on any actions we take. In"
- Haruki Murakami, Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche
8. "When Al Gore urges the citizenry to sacrifice their plastic shopping bags, their air-conditioning, their extraneous travel, the agnostics grumble that human activity accounts for just 2 percent of global carbon-dioxide emissions, with the remainder generated"
- Steven D. Levitt, SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling
9. "Beautiful things of any kind are beautiful in themselves and sufficient to themselves. Praise is extraneous. The object of praise remains what it was—no better and no worse."
- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations