1. the awful war
2. an awful risk
3. dire news
4. a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked
5. the dread presence of the headmaster
6. polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was
7. a dreadful storm
8. a fearful howling
9. horrendous explosions shook the city
10. a terrible curse
3. "SAWs were not metal things with little teeth, good for cutting wood. SAWs were Squad Automatic Weapons, which were fearsome fully-automatic machine guns, with fearsome capacities and fearsome capabilities."
- Lee Child, Never Go Back
7. "Bedlam: an institution with a history so fearsome it gave its name to a synonym for chaos and pandemonium."
- Jon Ronson, The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
8. "One popular fantasy book featuring a boy wizard who shall not be named calls my fearsome dog "Fluffy."
- Vicky Alvear Shecter, Hades Speaks!: A Guide to the Underworld by the Greek God of the Dead
10. "Zembla, Zenda, Xanadu: All our dream-worlds may come true. Fairy lands are fearsome too. As I wander far from view Read, and bring me home to you."
- Quote by Salman Rushdie