1. "Fishing cooperatives,"
- Frans de Waal, Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?
2. "the rain falls, catching the trailing edges of net curtains which flow out of open windows like fishing nets lowered over the backs of boats, nets hung neatly between the outside and the in, keeping floundering secrets firmly hidden..."
- Jon McGregor, If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
3. "The drums are slamming, rhythmic, exciting. As the minutes pass, it feels to me like we are collectively pulling the year 2004 toward us. Like we have roped it with our music, and now we are hauling it across the night sky like it's a massive fishing net, brimming with all our unknown destinies. And what a heavy net it is, indeed, carrying as it does all the births, deaths, tragedies, wars, love stories, inventions, transformations and calamities that are destined for all of us this coming year."
- Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat
4. "Life is maybe like deep-sea fishing. We wake up in the morning, we cast our nets into the water, an, if we are lucky, at day's end we will have netted one-- maybe two-- small fish. Occasionally we will net a seahorse or sometimes a shark-- or a life preserver or an iceberg, or a monster. And in our dreams at night we assess our Catch of the Day-- the treasures of this long, slow process of accumulation..."
- Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet
8. "Springtime in the village meant ice fishing. "
- Katherine Norberg, YOU CAN'T WALLPAPER MY IGLOO: Tales of Living and Teaching in the Alaskan Wilderness
10. "Tippets; Dry Fly Fishing; Great Lakes Salmon"
- Lamar Underwood, 1001 Fishing Tips: The Ultimate Guide to Finding and Catching More and Bigger Fish