1. "Winnie trusted in the possibility of redemption. Life would not end in an apoplectic implosion of frustrated desires, foiled schemes, and defeated dreams, but rather in revealed glory."
- David Rhodes, Jewelweed
2. "False faith, indeed, once foiled, seldom comes on again; but true faith riseth and fights more valiantly, as we see in Peter and other Scripture examples. Temptation"
- William Gurnall, The Christian in Complete Armour: The Ultimate Book on Spiritual Warfare
3. "*So, you're the small troublemaker who foiled Saturday's Cocigrue," said Lady Friday. Leaf, a friend of the so-called Rightful Heir , this Arthur Penhaligon. How kind of you to visit."
- Garth Nix, Lady Friday
4. "James and I happened onto the scene and foiled the robber's plans. We're good at that-foiling plans,I mean. Don't you agree,Miss Ashton?" "There seems to be very little on which we agree, Mr. Langley."
- Kat Martin, Magnificent Passage
5. "Lancelot Plummer had expected to undertake this survey with Adam, but had been foiled calmly in passing by Lymond. ‘Ah, no. One aesthete and one philistine are what we require.’ There could have been few philistines, thought Plummer acidly, as insistently common as Hislop."
- Dorothy Dunnett, The Ringed Castle
6. "Friend, you can trust the Man that died for you. You can trust Him to baffle no plan which is not best to be foiled, and to carry out every one which is for God’s glory and your highest good. You can trust Him to lead you in the path which is the very best in this world for you. J. H. MCC."
- Lettie B. Cowman, Contemporary Classic/Streams in the Desert
7. "No, Tori said. I kidnapped her and forced her to escape with me. I’ve been using her as a human shield against those guys with guns, and I was just about to strangle her and leave her body here to throw them off my trail. But then you showed up and foiled my evil plans. Lucky for you, though. You get to rescue poor little Chloe again and win her undying gratitude."
- Kelley Armstrong, The Awakening
8. "No", Tori said, " I kidnapped her and forced her to escape with me. I've been using her as a human shield against those guys with guns, and I was just about to strangle her and leave her body here to throw them off my trail. But then you showed up and foiled my evil plans. Lucky for you, though. You get to rescue chloe again and win her undying grattitude."
- Quote by Kelley Armstrong
9. "Had to be here to understand, he had said. He’d meant here in Chicago; but he could also have meant here in my shoes, an older black man who still burns from a lifetime of insults, of foiled ambitions, of ambitions abandoned before they’ve been tried. I asked myself if I could truly understand that. I assumed, took for granted, that I could. Seeing me, these men had made the same assumption."
- Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
10. "We think of it as a sort of traffic accident of the heart. It is an emotion that scares us more than cruelty, more than violence, more than hatred. We allow ourselves to be foiled by the vagueness of the word. After all, love requires the utmost vulnerability. We equip someone with freshly sharpened knives; strip naked; then invite him to stand close. What could be scarier?"
- Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of Love