1. "everything is foreordained and it was bound to happen anyway. But even so, it’s nice to think one was an instrument used by predestination."
- L.M. Montgomery, Lucy Maud Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables Complete Collection
2. "Prayer does not alter that which God has determined; it never changes anything. It merely achieves what He has already foreordained."
- Quote by Watchman Nee
3. "Everything in Tom's cathedral looked as if it was meant to be. Perhaps her life was like that, everything foreordained in a grand design, and she was like a foolish builder who wanted a waterfall in the chancel."
- Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth
4. "The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained and he only holds the key to his own secret."
- Quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. "Life in the Army is miserable that way. You fuck up, they scream at you, you fuck up some more and they scream some more, but overlying all the small, petty, stupid, basically foreordained fuckups looms the ever-present prospect of the life-fucking fuckup, a fuckup so profound and all-encompassing as to crush all hope of redemption."
- Ben Fountain, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
6. "When Bitsy looked back on Jin-Ho’s arrival, it didn’t seem like a first meeting. It seemed that Jin-Ho had been traveling toward them all along and Bitsy’s barrenness had been part of the plan, foreordained so that they could have their true daughter."
- Anne Tyler, Digging to America
7. "But precisely because history is not foreordained, we mere mortals must invent it as we go along—and in circumstances, as old Marx rightly pointed out, not entirely of our own making. We shall have to ask the perennial questions again, but be open to different answers."
- Tony Judt, Ill Fares The Land: A Treatise On Our Present Discontents
8. "By the rules of evidence in this trial the verdict is foreordained. If the testimony ... is admitted as competent, the conspiracy is proved. Because it would not be admitted except under the assumption that a conspiracy existed.... Here ... a defendant can be found guilty of being brought to court as a defendant."
- E.L. Doctorow, The Book of Daniel
9. "We are all genetic chimeras, at once saints and sinners, champions of the truth and hypocrites – not because humanity has failed to reach some foreordained religious or ideological ideal, but because of the way our species originated across millions of years of biological evolution."
- Quote by Edward O. Wilson
10. "We are entitled to personal revelation, especially when it concerns our own or our children's lives and what has been foreordained for them. This is true whether our children number one or ten, and whether the Lord sends them to us through natural means or adoption. This is a glorious knowledge."
- Linda Eyre, A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood