3. "It is the nature of being the general manager of a baseball team that you have to remain on familiar terms with people you are continually trying to screw."
- Michael Lewis, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game
4. "Jared was her son and the co-general manager of the Yankees—co meaning shares the title with someone who knows what he’s doing because he got the job through nepotism."
- Harlan Coben, The Final Detail
5. "And after you register your own company, you must find a white man. Find one of your white friends in England. Tell everybody he is your General Manager. You will see how doors will open for you because you have an oyinbo General Manager. Even Chief has some white men that he brings in for show when he needs them. That is how Nigeria works. I’m telling you."
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Americanah
7. "you read the Company's confidential correspondence?' I asked. He hadn't a word to say. It was great fun. 'When Mr. Kurtz,' I continued severely, 'is General Manager, you won't have the opportunity.' "He blew the candle out suddenly, and we went outside. The moon had risen. Black"
- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
8. "The ultimate freedom for creative groups is the freedom to experiment with new ideas. Some skeptics insist that innovation is expensive. In the long run, innovation is cheap. Mediocrity is expensive—and autonomy can be the antidote. TOM KELLEY General Manager, IDEO"
- Daniel H. Pink, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us