1. Common sense is not so common
2. he hasn't got the sense God gave little green apples
3. fortunately she had the good sense to run away
3. "I like your spunk. However I am concerned about your gumption."
- Quote by Mark Anderson
6. "Anyone who has gumption knows what it is, and anyone who hasn’t can never know what it is. So there is no need of defining it."
- Quote by L.M. Montgomery
7. "any person with the brains to get into the IIT’s and the gumption to get himself to the United States was capable of all manner of miracles."
- Michael Lewis, The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story
9. "It is very easy to forgive others their mistakes; it takes more grit and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own."
- Quote by Jessamyn West
10. "I like the word ‘gumption’ because it’s so homely and so forlorn and so out of style it looks as if it needs a friend and isn’t likely to reject anyone who comes along. I like it also because it describes exactly what happens to someone who connects with Quality. He gets filled with gumption. A person filled with gumption doesn’t sit around dissipating and stewing about things. He’s at the front of the train of his own awareness, watching to see what’s up the track and meeting it when it comes. That’s gumption. If you’re going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool. If you haven’t got that you might as well gather up all the other tools and put them away, because they won’t do you any good."
- Quote by Robert M. Pirsig