1. "If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?"
- Quote by Steven Wright
2. "And just before the heat wave, a rising young British writer had published a scalding essay on Chicago. Having seen it, Rudyard Kipling wrote, I desire never to see it again. It is inhabited by savages."
- Erik Larson, The Devil in the White City: Murder
3. "was to come. She lost her fragile grasp on control, unaware of everything but the implosion of heat, the wave of sensation that made her muscles ripple and her"
- Lori Foster, The Buckhorn Brothers Box Set: Sawyer / Morgan / Gabe / Jordan
4. "In the summer of 2009, a heat wave across France led to a shortage in cooling waters, forcing one-third of the nuclear power plants in the country to shut down."
- Jeremy Rifkin, The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things
7. "Our eyes met and his grin stretched another quarter-inch. Another schoolgirl flip--followed by a very un-schoolgirl wave of heat. He leaned even farther over the boards, lips parting to say something. "Hey, Kris!" someone yelled behind him. "If you want to flirt with Eve, tell her to meet you in the penalty box. You'll be back there soon enough."
- Kelley Armstrong, Haunted
8. "Her voice was deep and raspy, though not the whiskey voice given to madams in the movies. She had a trace of an accent, not Southern but New Orleans, that slow way of talking associated with downtown, an accent that sounds like Manhattan in a tropical heat wave."
- Christine Wiltz, The Last Madam: A Life in the New Orleans Underworld
9. "His thumb stroked my cheek. My eyes half-closed. When he spoke next, it was very softly, his voice an almost-physical caress against my whole body. My flesh tightened like a harpstring. I swallowed hard against the wave of liquid heat. "How can I possibly be jealous when I know you spent your time grieving for me, Dante?"
- Lilith Saintcrow, Dead Man Rising
10. "unprecedented wave of anticlerical violence,"
- Helen Graham, The War and Its Shadow: Spain's Civil War in Europe's Long Twentieth Century