2. "Like the New Orleans tradition that preceded it, and the Swing Era offerings that followed it, Chicago jazz was not just the music of a time and place, but also a timeless style of performance - and for its exponents, very much a way of life - one that continues to reverberate to this day in the works of countless Dixieland and traditional jazz bands around the world. For many listeners, the Chicago style remains nothing less than the quintessential sound of jazz."
- Ted Gioia, The History of Jazz
3. "Gin, jazz and dreams were not enough."
- Quote by Ralph Ellison
4. "Quando non sai cos’è, allora è jazz."
- Quote by Alessandro Baricco
6. "Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny."
- Quote by Frank Zappa
8. "There is something more to be said about our freedom to improvise inside of the composer’s form. The jazz lifestyle of the kingdom of God is a communal freedom. Jazz musicians make harmonious music, not just because they stay inside an agreed upon musical structure, but because they play in community with one another. Good jazz musicians are not just good players; they are also very skilled listeners. Their jazz is always an interaction with what is going on around them. God hasn’t given us sheet music. He has composed a structure that liberates us to improvise within the structure, and all while listening intently to one another and to him. What is he doing in and through my brothers and sisters in this moment? How can I make music that is harmonious with what God is intending, and with what others need? These are the questions of the communal freedom of the kingdom of God."
- Paul David Tripp, A Quest for More: Living for Something Bigger than You
9. "Nature has evolved to be the inventor of complexity. Just as a jazz musician embroiders around a theme, thus improvising new melodic phrases according to his inspiration and the public's reactions, nature plays spontaneously with the physical laws that were fixed at the start of the universe. It uses them to create novelty9"
- Matthieu Ricard, The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet