1. "In Saint Stylites, the famous Christian hermit of old times, who built him a lofty stone pillar in the desert and spent the whole latter portion of his life on its summit, hoisting his food from the ground with a tackle; in him we have a remarkable instance of a dauntless stander-of-mast-heads;"
- Herman Melville, Moby Dick: or
3. "to move into the darkness guided only by a pillar"
- Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled
4. "My fury was lofty, pure, cool."
- Quote by Banana Yoshimoto
5. "This lofty thought proves I dreamt it!"
- Quote by Arthur Rimbaud
8. "A central pillar of his later teaching was that fearlessness is a prerequisite for nonviolence."
- Stephen Cope, The Great Work of Your Life: A Guide for the Journey to Your True Calling