1. "No one is calling me. I can’t check the answering machine because I have been here all this time. If I go out, someone may call while I’m out. Then I can check the answering machine when I come back in."
- Lydia Davis, Varieties of Disturbance
4. "As Jim Lawrence, a black labor activist at a GM plant in Dayton, Ohio, describes it, during the 1960s 'the union gave foremen a blank check to mistreat blacks and keep them out of the high-rate machine jobs and the skilled trades.' "
- David T. Hardy, Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
5. "This machine kills fascists."
- Quote by Woody Guthrie
8. "The ability to eavesdrop on people's communications vests immense power in those who do it. And unless such power is held in check by rigorous oversight and accountability, it is almost certain to be abused. Expecting the US government to operate a massive surveillance machine in complete secrecy without falling prey to its temptations runs counter to every historical example and all available evidence about human nature."
- Glenn Greenwald, No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden