1. "TABLE 2.1 The Spectrum of Manic Symptoms"
- Jim Phelps, Why Am I Still Depressed? Recognizing and Managing the Ups and Downs of Bipolar II and Soft Bipolar Disorder
2. "The mourner is in fact ill, but because this state of mind is common and seems so natural to us, we do not call mourning an illness…. To put my conclusion more precisely: I should say that in mourning the subject goes through a modified and transitory manic-depressive state and overcomes it."
- Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking
3. "You're manic-depressive and you're manic-depressive too and you, you're definitely manic-depressive, girl. And you over there in the corner, you're just plain fucking depressive."
- Colum McCann, Let the Great World Spin
6. "The door of the novel, like the door of the poem, also shuts. But not so fast, nor with such manic, unanswerable finality."
- Sylvia Plath, Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams: Short Stories
8. "I believe there is a reason such as autism, severe manic-depression, and schizophrenia remain in our gene pool even though there is much suffering as a result."
- Temple Grandin, Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism