4. "The hard-core politicians she knew wouldn’t be stalking her; they weren’t suffering from any mental disorders. Wait—not true. Anyone in politics was suffering from a mental disorder!"
- Heather Graham, The Silenced
5. "Actually the best way to relieve your mental suffering is to sit in zazen, even in such a confused state of mind and bad posture."
- Quote by Shunryu Suzuki
6. "animals with more mental flexibility typically possess more complex sensory and nervous systems, suggesting that they are the most likely to have the neural hardware that underlies suffering."
- Virginia Morell, Animal Wise: The Thoughts and Emotions of Our Fellow Creatures
7. "This incessant mental noise prevents you from finding that realm of inner stillness that is inseparable from Being. It also creates a false mind-made self that casts a shadow of fear and suffering."
- Eckhart Tolle, Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings
8. "Hitler’s cabinet enacted a new law, to take effect January 1, 1934, called the Law for the Prevention of Offspring with Hereditary Diseases, which authorized the sterilization of individuals suffering various physical and mental handicaps."
- Erik Larson, In the Garden of Beasts: Love
9. "Moreover, the genuine lover always respects and even encourages this separateness and the unique individuality of the beloved. Failure to perceive and respect this separateness is extremely common, however, and the cause of much mental illness and unnecessary suffering."
- M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love
10. "Happiness and suffering, however extreme, are mental events. The mind depends upon the body, and the body upon the world, but everything good or bad that happens in your life must appear in consciousness to matter."
- Quote by Sam Harris