1. "The family is the nucleus of civilization."
- Quote by Will Durant
2. "I see people as the nucleus of a great idea that hasn't come to be yet."
- Quote by Richard Pryor
3. "Finding no nucleus to which we could cling, we became a small nucleus ourselves and gradually we fitted our disruptive personalities into the contemporary scene of New York. Or rather New York forgot us and let us stay."
- Quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. "The electromagnetic attraction between negatively charged electrons and positively charged protons in the nucleus causes the electrons to orbit the nucleus of the atom, just as gravitational attraction causes the earth to orbit the sun."
- Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time
9. "They then build detectors that patiently wait for the faint signal of a dark-matter particle passing through and perturbing a nucleus."
- Sean Carroll, The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World
10. "They had discovered the reason no elements beyond uranium exist naturally in the world: the two forces working against each other in the nucleus eventually cancel each other out. They pictured the uranium nucleus as a liquid drop gone wobbly with the looseness of its confinement and imagined it hit by even a barely energetic slow neutron. The neutron would add its energy to the whole. The nucleus would oscillate. In one of its many random modes of oscillation it might elongate. Since the strong force operates only over extremely short distances, the electric force repelling the two bulbs of an elongated drop would gain advantage. The two bulbs would push farther"
- Richard Rhodes, Making of the Atomic Bomb