1. "Well, for starters, it’s an island. Oahu and especially Honolulu were highly populated when the dead started coming back, and because it’s an island, there would have been no escape from the creatures. It will be very risky to attempt resupply with that many of those things massed in the areas we’ll be operating."
- J.L. Bourne, Shattered Hourglass
2. "As I write these lines I lift my eyes and look seaward. I am on the beach of Waikiki on the island of Oahu. Far, in the azure sky, the trade-wind clouds drift low over the blue-green turquoise of the deep sea. Nearer, the sea is emerald and light olive-green. Then comes the reef, where the water is all slaty purple flecked with red. Still nearer are brighter greens and tans, lying in alternate stripes and showing where sandbeds lie between the living coral banks. Through and over and out of these wonderful colours tumbles and thunders a magnificent surf."
- Jack London, The Cruise of the Snark (Illustrated)
8. "After the arrival of Europeans, the Big Island’s King Kamehameha I rapidly proceeded with the consolidation of the largest islands by purchasing European guns and ships to invade and conquer first Maui and then Oahu."
- Jared Diamond, Guns
10. "Her self was an island."
- Quote by John Steinbeck