1. "John Mitchel’s famous declaration that God sent the blight but the English created the Famine."
- Tim Pat Coogan, The Famine Plot: England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy
3. "It is the blight man was born for. It is Margaret you mourn for."
- Quote by Gerard Manley Hopkins
7. "AC (AC) AK, or AKE. Being initials in the names of places, as Acton, signify an oak, from the Saxon ac, an oak. Gibson's Camden."
- Samuel Johnson, A Dictionary of the English Language (Complete and Unabridged in Two Volumes)
9. "EPITAPH ON AN INFANT Ere Sin could blight or Sorrow fade, Death came with friendly care: The opening Bud to Heaven convey’d, And bade it blossom there."
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Delphi Complete Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge