1. "The old neighborhoods of Shanghai, Feedless or with overhead Feeds kludged in on bamboo stilts, seemed frighteningly inert, like an opium addict squatting in the middle of a frenetic downtown street, blowing a reed of sweet smoke out between his teeth, staring into some ancient dream that all the bustling pedestrians had banished to unfrequented parts of their minds."
- Neal Stephenson, The Diamond Age: or
2. "We don't look at each other anymore. Not really. Not since I pulled him from that opium den. Now when I look at him, I see the addict. And when he looks at me, he sees what he would rather not remember. I wish I could be his adored little girl again, sitting at his side."
- Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing
3. "Marxism is the opium of the intellectuals"
- Quote by Edmund Wilson
5. "Religion is opium for the masses"
- Quote by Nikos Kazantzakis
8. "Religion is the opium of the poor"
- Quote by Ernest Hemingway
9. "stick at it like a benni addict"
- Quote by Jack Kerouac