1. "They resented the patronage they depended upon."
- Quote by Barbara W. Tuchman
4. "Children have imagination enough to grasp any idea which you present to them with honesty and without patronage."
- Quote by Armstrong Sperry
6. "There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
- Quote by George Washington
7. "If you’re going to do this work, Barack, you’ve got to stop worrying about whether people like you. They won’t. Patronage,"
- Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
8. "If the government was ever to be destroyed, Polk concluded, it would be by the alluring and corrupting influence of executive patronage."
- Walter R. Borneman, Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America
9. "Indeed, it is a kind of quintessence of pride to hate and fear even the kind and legitimate approval of those who love us! I mean, to resent it as a humiliating patronage."
- Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain