3. "If he's not watering his ale, he's running illegal beasts on the common, if he's not despoiling the common he's assaulting an officer of the peace, if he's not drunk he's dead drunk, and if he's not dead before his time there's no justice in this world."
- Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall
8. "A profession that I was once proud to serve in has become a militarized police state. Officers are quicker to draw their guns and use their tanks than to communicate with people to defuse a situation. They love to use their toys, and when they do, people die. The days of the peace officer are long gone, replaced by the militarized police warrior wearing uniforms making them indistinguishable from military personnel."
- Jim Marrs, Population Control: How Corporate Owners Are Killing Us
9. "Viveros smiled. If Bender were really interested in peace instead of his own ego, he’d have done what I’m doing, and what you should do, Perry, she said. Follow orders. Stay alive. Make it through our term of infantry service. Join officer training and work our way up. Become the people who are giving the orders, not just following them. That’s how we’ll make peace when we can. And that’s how I can live with ‘just following orders.’ Because I know that one day, I’ll make those orders change. She leaned back, closed her eyes and slept the rest of the way back to our ship. Luisa"
- John Scalzi, Old Man's War
10. "Peace, prattler."
- Quote by George Herbert