3. "The Armenian genocide was a horrific illustration of the convulsions that could seize a multi-ethnic polity trying to mutate from empire into nation state."
- Niall Ferguson, The Abyss: World War I and the End of the First Age of Globalization-A Selection from The War of the World
6. "I am in favour of leaving people alone, however imperfect their polity may seem. It appears to me that you must not tell other nations how to set their house in order; nor must you compel them to be happy."
- Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove
7. "My life more civil is and free Than any civil polity Ye princes, keep your realms And circumscribed power Not wide as are my dreams Nor rich as is this hour"
- Quote by Henry David Thoreau
8. "True goal of totalitarian propaganda is not persuasion, but organization of the polity. ... What convinces masses are not facts, and not even invented facts, but only the consistency of the system of which they are presumably part."
- Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism
9. "How could one engage the world and yet not be cheapened by the aggressive dumbing-down that was the lifeblood of the commercial culture, the festering underbelly of the polity he sought to lead?"
- Glen Merzer, Off the Reservation: A Novel
10. "[M]onarchy was, or ought to be, not so much absolute as mitigated by the principle of ius politicum, supporting a mixed polity partaking of elements both royal and political, which is to say, popular and representative."
- Patrick Collinson, De Republica Anglorum: Or History with the Politics Put Back