1. "During the Qin Dynasty, all books not relating to practical concerns such as agriculture or construction were ordered burned by the emperor to guard against "dangerous thought." Whether accounts of zombie attacks perished in the flames will never be known. This obscure section of a medical manuscript, preserved in the wall of an executed Chinese scholar, might be proof of such attacks."
- Max Brooks, The Zombie Survival Guide
4. "In a manner of speaking. As we intend for you to found a dynasty. And that dynasty will rule society until it has progressed enough to-" "Overthrow the dynasty in a revolutionary, blood filled coup!" Iggy said eagerly. We all looked at him. "Just saying." He sheepishly took a bite of cookie."
- James Patterson, Angel
5. "The Chinese state, from the days of the Qin, was an efficient, bureaucratized autocracy. Yet to this day, China has never developed the rule of law. Its emperors, and now the Chinese politburo, make the law but are not accountable to it and do not have to obey it themselves. China can always force its people to build a Great Wall or its equivalent."
- Nicholas Wade, A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes
7. "Every series of evolutions, according to them, was presided over by a prophet; and every prophet had his 'Hazar,'—his dynasty of a thousand years." All"
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra