- Liz Kessler, A Year Without Autumn
2. "Strength and a stout heart are hazardous qualities where they cannot prevail."
- Gene Wolfe, Return to the Whorl: The Final Volume of 'The Book of the Short Sun'
3. "Forge ahead, O mighty enforcer of the law. May you be stout of heart and eardrum."
- Franny Billingsley, Chime
4. "Stout as a horse"
- Quote by Walt Whitman
5. "comes from sturdy stock and knows how to work hard and take what comes."
- Gary Chapman, Rising Above a Toxic Workplace: Taking Care of Yourself in an Unhealthy Environment
6. "Prevarication, like honesty, is reflexive, and soon becomes a sturdy habit, as reliable as truth."
- Norman Mailer, The Castle in the Forest
7. "And they tramped off to the forests with sturdy youths bearing guitars, twang-twang!"
- Quote by D.H. Lawrence
8. "The human heart was such a complex organ, fragile and sturdy all at once."
- Susan Wiggs, Just Breathe
9. "Sturdy contentment that can weather the storms of difficulty and want is always rooted in worship."
- Paul David Tripp, Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think
10. "Bert was short and stout. Cec was tall and lanky. Between them, there was nothing that they could not reach."
- Kerry Greenwood, Death at Victoria Dock