2. "The greatness of a writer has nothing to do with subject matter itself, only with how much the subject matter touches the author."
- Quote by Boris Pasternak
3. "If it's bad art, it's bad religion, no matter how pious the subject."
- Quote by Madeleine L'Engle
5. "People usually feel comfortable making decisions about subject matter that’s familiar to them."
- Dennis W. Bakke, Joy at Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job
6. "Since the science of economics is primarily a set of tools, as opposed to a subject matter, then no subject, however offbeat, need be beyond its reach."
- Steven D. Levitt, Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
8. "It is the kind of learning you are practising that is important, not the subject-matter you are practising on."
- Guy Claxton, What's the Point of School?: Rediscovering the Heart of Education
10. "We think too fast, even while walking or on the way, or while engaged in other things, no matter how serious the subject."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science with a Prelude in Rhymes & an Appendix of Songs