4. "When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
5. "Knowledge is power. The devil it is! One man can have a great deal of knowledge without its giving him the least power, while another possesses supreme authority but next to no knowledge."
- Arthur Schopenhauer, Essays and Aphorisms
6. "Such a concept of morality sounds noble and high-minded; the supreme importance of morality means that it must be based on the highest authority, and this is the authority of reason itself. However, as MacIntyre and other critics of Kant have noted, the grandeur of the structure of Kant's ethics is matched by the emptiness of its content"
- Howard Margolis, It Started with Copernicus
7. "question authority"
- Quote by Timothy Leary
9. "I saw humans more clearly. I saw them as exceptional creatures under the tyranny of knowledge, helpless to change their circumstances. The human animal is helpless, that is, until the mind decides to change and until knowledge has lost its supreme authority."
- Miguel Ruiz, The Toltec Art of Life and Death
10. "As de Beauvoir put it, religion had given men a God like themselves--a God exclusively male in imagery, which legitimized and sealed their power. How fortunate for men, she said, that their sovereign authority has been vested in them by the Supreme Being."
- Sue Monk Kidd, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter