4. "I’ve never had an angel on my right shoulder; I was born with a pointy-tailed devil, who crept back and forth across my neck to get his whispers into both my ears."
- Joshilyn Jackson, Someone Else's Love Story
5. "...it's not what people do, it's what they don't tell you they do. That's what hurts. That's what you think about when the television signs off and you're still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed."
- Jerry Stahl, Perv - A Love Story
6. "The presence of cats exercises such a magic influence upon highly organized men of intellect. This is why these long-tailed Graces of the animal kingdom...have been the favorite animal of a Mahommed, Cardinal Richelieu, Crebillon, Rousseau, Wieland."
- Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, Venus in Furs
8. "At the ceremony’s culmination, they’d released a pair of doves, and two red-tailed hawks had descended from the heavens and torn them to shreds in view of the wedding party—an appropriate metaphor for the marriage."
- Gregg Hurwitz, Tell No Lies
10. "The lush greenness of the pastures infused Shiloh. Overhead, she saw a red-tailed hawk flying in higher and higher circles in the sky. There were bluebirds everywhere, many of them sitting on fence posts. When they took off, that flash of brilliant blue always made her gasp with delight; it was almost an unearthly gorgeous color."
- Lindsay McKenna, Wind River Wrangler