2. "He did not have the sort of looks suited for stakeouts or tailing people. As much as he might try to lose himself in a crowd, he was as inconspicuous as a centipede in a coup of yogurt."
- Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
3. "If you think the person you're following has spotted you, turn and have a nice chat with a stranger on the street. The stranger may think you're a lunatic, but the person you're tailing will think you're harmless."
- Kirsten Miller, Inside the Shadow City
4. "Ushikawa's appearance made him stand out. He did not have the sort of looks suited for stakeouts or tailing people. As much as he might try to lose himself in a crowd, he was inconspicuous as a centipede in a cup of yogurt"
- Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
5. "I was in no rush to get back to the funeral parlor, so I called Ranger again. Hi, I said to his answering service. It’s me. Things are looking up. Your wife is tailing me, but she hasn’t shot at me yet today, so that’s a good thing, right? And you need to answer your damn phone calls."
- Janet Evanovich, Twelve Sharp
6. "Your visit with Interpol went well? They asked their questions, I told them my story. One thing I don’t get, I said. Why haven’t they brought me in yet? Win smiled. You know why. They’re tailing me. Correct answer. You see them? Black car on right corner. Mossad is probably following me too. You’re a very popular man. It’s because I’m a good listener. People like a good listener. Indeed. I’m also fun at parties. And a snazzy dancer. What do you want to do about the tails? I’d like to lose them for the day. No problem."
- Harlan Coben, Long Lost
7. "She rented the place from some whacko, fanatic, leftist, commie, pinko so-called Columbia professor named Sidney Bowman. You’re so tolerant, Rolly. Yeah, well, I lose touch when I keep missing those ACLU meetings. Anyway, this pinko won’t talk. He says she just rented from him and paid in cash. We all know he’s lying. The feds grilled him, but he got a team of faggot, liberal lawyers down here to spring him. Called us a bunch of Nazi pigs and stuff. That’s not a compliment, Rolly. In case you don’t know. Thanks for clueing me in. I got Krinsky tailing him right now, but he’s got nothing. I mean, this Bowman’s not a retard. He’s got to know we’re watching."
- Harlan Coben, Fade Away
8. "My little donkey, if I hadn't shown up, your fate would have been sealed. Love has saved you. Is there anything else that could erase the innate fears of a donkey and send him to rescue you from certain death? No. That is the only one. With a call to arms, I, Ximen Donkey, charged down the ridge and headed straight for the wolf that was tailing my beloved. My hooves kicked up sand and dust as I raced down from my commanding position; no wolf, not even a tiger, could have avoided the spearhead aimed at it. It saw me too late to move out of the way, and I thudded into it, sending it head over heels. Then I turned around and said to my donkey, "Do not fear my dear, I am here!"
- Mo Yan, Life and Death are Wearing Me Out
9. " were two engineers tailing Nardelli at a discreet three-mile buffer, carrying laptops and a trunk full of tolls in case the Aspen broke down. Even Chrysler didn't trust their products."
- Charlie LeDuff, Detroit: An American Autopsy
10. " talkin' about? I'm sayin', maybe we're goin' about this all the wrong way, tryin' to find dealers and trail 'em, follow the tracks up the ladder. There's something about this whole setup that smacks of serious organization, something big enough to hide in plain sight, know what I mean? If it's that well laid out, we can follow minions all day long, we're never gonna find the top guy, because they don’t ever see the top guys. Sam nodded. Yeah, you're probably right, he said, but unless you got a crystal ball lead on where else to go, I don’t know what good it's doin' us. Where else we gonna find any leads at all? Got a clue, there? Maybe, Dan said. We've been tailing a lot of these clowns the past few weeks, right? Have you noticed one thing they all do the same? Sam thought about it, but nothing jumped out at him. He looked at it from a couple of different angles, then shook his head. Into the phone, he said, Nope. So, what is it? Facebook. No matter what else they're doin', these bastards"
- David Archer, The Grave Man