2. "For all the folks whose job it was to be ready for [Hurricane] Katrina, but who weren't, from the Oval Office, right down the chain of command to the New Orleans police department, Wal-Mart was a vivid reproach."
- Charles Fishman, The Wal-Mart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works - and How It's Transforming the American Economy
3. "has no prospects of being either, then you don’t just need a remote position—you need a new job. Only the office can be secure Companies often go to great lengths to make employees"
- Jason Fried, Remote: Office Not Required
4. "Darnell's eyes shone. That’s Rod August out there. One of my best. Thirty-two years old. Five years on the job. He wanted to be a detective. I’d be talking to him right now in my office,"
- Rick Mofina, No Way Back
5. "(Frances has gotten out of bed again and come to her parents' room...) 'How can the wind have a job?' asked Frances. 'Everybody has a job,' said Father. 'I have to go to my office every morning at nine o'clock. That is my job. You have to go to sleep so you can be wide awake for school tomorrow. That is your job.' Frances said, 'I know, but...' Father said, 'I have not finished. If the wind does not blow the curtains, he will be out of a job. If I do not go to the office, I will be out of a job. And if you do not go to sleep now, do you know what will happen to you?' 'I will be out of a job?' said Frances. 'No,' said Father. 'I will get a spanking?' said Frances. 'Right!' said Father. 'Good night!' said Frances, and she went back to her room."
- Russell Hoban, Bedtime for Frances
6. "To obey is the proper office of a rational soul."
- Quote by Michel de Montaigne
7. "And then I was offered the job of a particle in factory physics. I was offered the job of an electron in an office atom. I was offered the job of a frequency for a radio station. People told me I could easily make it as a ray in a ray gun. What's the matter with you, don't you want to do well? I wanted to be a beach bum and work on my wave function. I have always loved the sea."
- Quote by Jeanette Winterson
9. "We stopped at a door that read GUIDANCE. I always found that term wonderfully vague. The dictionary definition of the word is advice or information aimed at resolving a problem. In short, an attempt to help. But to us students, the word—this office—is far more frightening. It conjures up our college prospects, growing older, getting a real job—our future. Guidance seemed more like a term for cutting us loose. Spoon"
- Harlan Coben, Shelter
10. "SCUM will become members of the unwork force, the fuck-up force; they will get jobs of various kinds and unwork... SCUM office and factory workers, in addition to fucking up their work, will secretly destroy equipment. SCUM will unwork at a job until fired, then get a new job to unwork at."
- Quote by Valerie Solanas