2. "It is my hope that this book will help to demystify the origins of travel writing and show that when thousands of travelers follow a guidebook word-for-word, recommendation-for-recommendation, it not only harms contemporary international travel but can also do serious harm to places in developing countries."
- Thomas Kohnstamm, Do Travel Writers Go to Hell?: A Swashbuckling Tale of High Adventures
3. "The Bible is a guidebook, leading men [and women] to God in a personal faith. Like a map or guidebook, it will show you the way, but you must take it one step at a time."
- Billy Graham, Billy Graham in Quotes
4. "Louvain was a dull place, said a guidebook in 1910, but when the time came it made a spectacular fire."
- Quote by Margaret MacMillan
5. " If this isn't a guidebook, what is it? A book of sermons, perhaps. I preach that air travel be scaled back, as a start, to the level of twenty years ago, further reductions to be considered after all the Boeing engineers have been retrained as turkey ranchers. The state Game Department should establish a season on helicopters — fifty-two weeks a year, twenty-four hours a day, no bag limit. Passenger trains must be restored, as a start, to the service of forty years ago and then improved from there. The Gypsy Bus System must not be regularized (the government would regulate it to death) but publicized cautiously through the underground. I would discourage, if not ban, trekking to Everest base camp and flying over the Greenland Icecap. Generally, people should stay home. Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn about a little."
- Harvey Manning, Walking the Beach to Bellingham
7. "For every traveller who has any taste of his own, the only useful guidebook will be the one which he himself has written."
- Quote by Aldous Huxley
8. "Without travel, writing dies."
- Quote by John Steinbeck
9. "Without travel, writing dies..."
- Charles D. Thompson Jr., Border Odyssey: Travels Along the U.S./Mexico Divide
10. "THE DEAD TRAVEL FAST"
- Michael Sims, Dracula's Guest: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Vampire Stories