1. "My travels took me as far north as Thorsminde, Denmark (in February no less); as far south as Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia; as far west as the Hoover Library at Stanford University; and to various points east, including the always amazing Library of Congress and the U.S. National Archives, and equally enticing archives in London, Liverpool, and Cambridge."
- Erik Larson, Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
2. "In just three years, Kickstarter surpassed the U.S. National Endowment for the Arts as the largest backer of arts projects in the United States.9"
- Daniel H. Pink, To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others
4. "[The U.S. worker] gets to appear at his least national when he is working and at his most national at leisure, with his family or in semipublic worlds of other men producing surplus manliness (e.g. via sports)."
- Quote by Lauren Berlant
6. "9:12 P.M.—GROUND ZERO, WASHINGTON, D.C. Without warning, the capital of the United States was obliterated. At precisely 9:12 p.m. Eastern, in a millisecond of time, in a blinding flash of light, the White House simply ceased to exist, as did everything and everyone else for miles in every direction. No sooner had the first missile detonated in Lafayette Park than temperatures soared into the millions of degrees. The firestorm and blast wave that followed consumed everything in its path. Gone was the Treasury building, and with it the headquarters of the United States Secret Service. Gone was the FBI building, and the National Archives, and the Supreme Court, and the U.S. Capitol and all of its surrounding buildings. Wiped away was every monument, every museum, every restaurant, every hotel, every hospital, every library and landmark of any kind, every sign of civilization."
- Joel C. Rosenberg, Dead Heat
7. "Fear obscures reason, intensifies emotions and makes it easier for demagogic politicians to mobilize the public on behalf of the policies they want to pursue. —Former U.S. National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski (11) I"
- Carlos Morales, Legally Kidnapped: The Case Against Child Protective Services
8. "Consider the creation of poverty in the U.S., for example. It is not only a result of interior national dynamics, with a U.S. ruling class, the one percent, exploiting a group of the 99 percent. Indeed, that class is an essential part of the trauma. Just as importantly, though, this interior exploitation within the U.S. takes place within a global set of dynamics, of economic exploitation and impoverishment of poorer communities the world over, the full process of which exists outside of the U.S. Further,"
- Mark Lewis Taylor, The Executed God: The Way of the Cross in Lockdown America
10. "You're a library of me."
- Quote by Zadie Smith