1. "These rocks are a release for my pent-up emotions. When I feel all tied up inside, I just stand here and throw rocks into that vacant lot!" "Hello, Charlie Brown, you blockhead!" "Sometimes I think I'm kind of a vacant lot myself..."
- Charles M. Schulz, The Complete Peanuts
2. "Up early on Friday, May 18, the day when nominations were to be made, he passed some time playing fives—a variety of handball—with some other men in a vacant lot next to the Illinois State Journal office."
- David Herbert Donald, Lincoln
3. "I remember when each 4th lot was vacant and overgrown, and the landlord only go this rent when you had it, and each day was clear and good and each moment was full of promise."
- Charles Bukowski, The People Look Like Flowers at Last
4. "Amazing how he could make her feel. Safe in a vacant lot, warm in the middle of the night. Just being this close to him, being able to touch his thoughts and feel his presence, was comforting-and dizzying."
- L.J. Smith, Dark Visions
5. "O dark dark dark. They all go into the dark, The vacant interstellar spaces, the vacant into the vacant"
- Quote by T.S. Eliot
6. "A Loud Laugh Bespeaks a Vacant Mind!"
- Quote by William Shakespeare
10. "What the Chronics are - or most of us - are machines with flaws inside that can't be repaired, flaws born in, or flaws beat in over so many years of the guy running head-on into solid things that by the time the hospital found him he was bleeding rust in some vacant lot."
- Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest