1. he showed great heroism in battle
2. he received a medal for valor
1. "The better part of valour, is discretion."
- William Shakespeare, King Henry IV
2. "In a false quarrel there is no true valour."
- Quote by William Shakespeare
3. "Fear to do base unworthy things is valour; If they be done to us, to suffer them Is valour too."
- Walter Scott, Guy Mannering - Complete
4. "Toad's ancestral home, won back by matchless valour, consummate strategy, and a proper handling of sticks."
- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
5. "That defense alone is effectual, sure and durable which depends upon yourself and your own valour."
- Quote by Niccolò Machiavelli
6. "for next to God, who is our strength, all depends upon the valour of our arms."
- Bernal Díaz del Castillo, The Conquest of New Spain
7. "Death, would that you scorned to take the coward's life, And came only to valour!"
- Quote by Medlar Lucan
8. "Nothing of real worth can ever be bought. Love, friendship, honour, valour, respect. All these things have to be earned."
- David Gemmell, Shield of Thunder
9. "and, assure thyself, there is no love-broker in the world can more prevail in man’s commendation with woman than report of valour."
- William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
10. "Active valour may often be the present of nature; but such patient diligence can be the fruit only of habit and discipline."
- Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire