1. the Vietnamese countryside
2. "He who controls the Central Highlands controls South Vietnam. —Vietnamese military maxim"
- Harold G. Moore, We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young: Ia Drang-The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam
7. "At night these people put out food so the ghosts will have something to eat. They put out Vietnamese food for the ghosts of the dead Vietnamese soldiers. But many American GIs died, too, so they put out American food for the ghosts of the dead American soldiers."
- Ralph Fletcher, A Writer's Notebook
8. "The Vietnamese never asked themselves, any more than had the French, whether the Cambodians wanted the new system they were introducing. They acted in the unassailable certitude of a superior truth."
- Philip Short, Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare
9. "You know what they call a guy who switches sides in homicide? They call him a Jane Fonda, as in hanging with the North Vietnamese. You get it? It’s crossing to the dark side."
- Michael Connelly, The Crossing