- Calestous Juma, The New Harvest: Agricultural Innovation in Africa
2. "And by the way, everything in life is writeable if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The greatest threat to creativity is self-doubt."
- Quote by Sylvia Plath
3. "California, the department store state."
- Quote by Raymond Chandler
4. "The fact that people buy beer by the six-pack, and pay more per bottle to do so, suggests that external control is an important feature of self-control. It means also that the all-night beer store is not an unmixed blessing. While providing increased convenience for some, it also pulls away a part of the external scaffold that many people use as part of their self-control system (namely, the unobtainability of more beer, after the six-pack is consumed). Thus late-night hours at the beer store should correctly be viewed as an innovation that decreases the autonomy of these people, by withdrawing a form of social cooperation that they at one time relied on to exercise self-control."
- Joseph Heath, Following the Rules: Practical Reasoning and Deontic Constraint
5. "One father proudly told of how he fearlessly overcame by promising the child ice cream if he would only wait until they left the store. Such compromises will only affirm the child in his commitment to terrorist tactics. You are not gaining control of the child; he is gaining control of you. All children are trained, some carelessly or negligently, and some with varied degrees of forethought. All parental responses are conditioning the child’s behavior, and are therefore training."
- Michael Pearl, To Train Up a Child: Turning the hearts of the fathers to the children
8. "possibilities You have in store for me.Today,"
- Iyanla Vanzant, Forgiveness: 21 Days to Forgive Everyone for Everything
9. "Each of us, actually every animal, is a data scientist. We collect data from our sensors, and then we process the data to get abstract rules to perceive our environment and control our actions in that environment to minimize pain and/or maximize pleasure. We have memory to store those rules in our brains, and then we recall and use them when needed. Learning is lifelong; we forget rules when they no longer apply or revise them when the environment changes. Learning"
- Ethem Alpaydin, Machine Learning: The New AI
10. "Woman wants control, man self-control ."
- Quote by Immanuel Kant